Initial Thoughts on Defining Intelligence
As I get further and further into Artificial Intelligence, I thought it might be helpful to go back to basics and ask what intelligence is in the first place.
At a basic level, it is the ability to critically analyze a problem and develop effective solutions.
Intelligence leads to better-quality solutions that enable us to tackle more complex problems. Intelligence also enables faster problem-solving, thus providing both a quantitative and qualitative benefit.
There are many ways to define intelligence, and different fields and approaches may have different definitions. Here are a few more aspects that are often included in definitions of intelligence:
- The ability to learn and adapt to new situations
- The ability to communicate effectively
- The ability to understand and process complex information
- The ability to perceive and navigate one’s environment
- The ability to plan and execute actions to achieve goals
Intelligence can also be considered a general mental capability that involves the ability to reason, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience.